We have compiled a list of local resources most commonly asked for on The Kids South of Washingon (KSOW), our growing list-serve of over 1,700 local parents (to join, email us with where you live, kids ages or due date and why you want to join).
We hope that you will find these useful for your children’s needs as well as your own needs. Please note that by listing these resources, Lilypad does not endorse any of the organizations, individuals, or companies listed below. Please use these listings as a jumping-off point for your own research.
You may also find some of our other resources helpful:
We need volunteers to help us update our resource lists; new updates need to be made and we could use help compiling and updating. Please email us.
Topics Listed Alphabetically
(some entries listed multiple times under more than one heading)
Baby Planning and Baby Proofing
Kidproteq: Local company offering proofing services
My Fabulous Mama: Provides local baby planning services
- The Home Hero: Handyman service that provides baby proofing services
Breastfeeding Support and Resources
Pennsylvania Hospital: Offers a breastfeeding support group at the Hall Mercer Building (800 Spruce St.) every Monday at 12:30 p.m.
Solutions for Women at Pennsylvania Hospital: Breastfeeding products and maternal support
La Leche League International Philadelphia Meetings: La Leche League holds its breastfeeding meetings at Essene Natural Foods Market (719 S. 4th St.) on the second Tuesday of every month at 10:30 a.m.
In West Philadelphia, facilitated by Patty Siegrist, RN, IBCLC, this free breastfeeding support group meets at Studio 34 (4522 Baltimore Ave.) every other Wednesday from 10 a.m. to noon. This group is an outreach of the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA.
In Media, BirthMark (107 S. Monroe St.) hosts its breastfeeding support group on Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Blissed out Mamas is run by Lisa Broderick-Cohen, IBCLC and RLC with locations in Philadelphia and South Jersey
Children’s Classes and Activities
- Wee Wander: A parent’s guide to navigating Philadelphia – articles as well as comprehensive lists of local activities for babies, toddlers, and children.
Indoor Play Spaces:
The Little Playhouse
Academy of Natural Science: toddler to adult
- Franklin Institute: toddler to adult
- Liberty Museum: school-aged children
- Traditional Tang Soo Do: Offers martial arts classes for children starting at age 3 1/2 Contact: Donna Wells, Master Instructor
- The University of the Arts Saturday Arts Lab – grades K-8
Community Education Groups
Refer to the SPPRC Education Guide
Counseling, Balancing Life and Work for Moms, Dads, Couples
- Jennifer Walters, MA, LPC: Counseling Services
Treats individuals, families, and couples; accepts some insurance
- Maternity Care Coalition: Strengthening families with children ages 0-3
- Strategic Mama: Workshops to help moms feel less stressed, guilty, and alone
- Third Path: Mission Statement – To assist individuals, families and organizations in finding new ways to redesign work to create time for family, community and other life priorities. Develop a growing community of individuals, leaders and organizations to influence wider change – both within organizations and at the public policy level. Support a new mind-set where everyone can follow a “third path” – an integrated approach to work and life.
Becoming Dad by Kelly Crull: “Within weeks of getting pregnant, Kelly Crull’s wife had a stack of parenting books waiting on his nightstand, complete with neat, hand-written bookmarks telling him which chapters he needed to read. In nine months, he had learned everything about his wife giving birth, becoming a mother, and how he could support her. What he wanted and couldn’t find was a book by a normal guy telling him about becoming a dad. The last thing he needed was more expert advice, a ten-step plan or fancy pie charts. He just wanted someone to give it to him straight, ‘What was parenting going to be like for him?’ Becoming Dad is the book he wanted and couldn’t find.”
- Fathers Work and Family: A blog about fatherhood.
- New Dad Manual: 24-hour cribside assistance – resources and tips for new dads
Alphabet Academy – 1510 E. Passyunk Ave.
Alphabet Station: (215) 551-6400
Alphabet Aquarium: (215) 551-6450
- Antonelli Family Day Care – 1939 E. Passyunk Ave.
- Aspen Grove, graduate hospital
Beacon Center for Children – 2125 Chestnut St.
Beginnings Learning Center – 620 S. 10th St.
Children’s Village Child Care – 125 N. 8th St.
City Kids Preschool – 2311 S. 13th St.
Clementine Montessori – 2013 Appletree St. in St Celment’s Church
Elaine’s Tender Care – 2601 S. 11th St.
Forever Young – 1125 W. Moyamensing Ave.
Formative Years – 1925 Lombard St.
Friends Childcare Center – 1501 Cherry St.
- Germantown Friends Early Childhood, Washington Square, (215) 951-2345
- The Giving Tree Daycare and Pre-School – 232 N. 22nd St.
Greene Towne School – 2121 Arch St
- The Joshua Tree – 766-768 S. 9th St.
(215) 922-3460; (215) 922-3461
Just Like Home Preschool and Nursery – 2129 S. 11th St.
- Kai’s Comfy Corner – 1601 S. 9th St.
- Kindercare – 1700 Market St., Lower Level
Little Angels – 615 Spruce St.
Little Beginnings – 73-83 Moore St.
- Little Duckies Daycare – 2400 S. Woodstock St.
Lisa Lombardo-Nia, Owner – email@example.com
- Little Miracles Day Care – 2125 Chestnut St.
- Mary’s Little Lambs Daycare -1909 S. 16th St.
Mary Banhdith, Owner – firstname.lastname@example.org
Moonstone Preschool – 750 S. 11th St.
- Project Play at Bok
Contact: Kathy Goldenberg, MEd – email@example.com
- Philly Montessori, Queen Village
Old City Day Care, Newbold Location – 1901 S. Broad St.
Old Swedes YCCA – 929 S. Water St.
- The Parent Infant Center – 4205 Spruce St.
- Philly Children’s House, Broad and Oregon
Totally Tots – 1512 Mifflin St.
- Trinity Playgroup – 2212 Spruce St.
After Care Programs
- ASAP/After School Activities Partnerships
- Directory of after school programs, searchable by activity, zip code, site, etc.
- Columbus Square Recreation Center – 1200 Wharton St.
Contact: Jessica Porco
(215) 685-1890, Does not pick up
- Capitolo Recreation Center, 900 Federal St.
Contact: John Medica
(215) 685-1883, Does pick up
- Kai’s Comfy Corner, 1601 S. 9th St.
(215) 271-9919, Does pick up
Lactation Counseling, Infant Massage, Infant and Toddler Nutrition Workshops
- Blossoming Bellies Wholistic Birth Services: Brittney McCollum, lactation counselor
- Confident Parenting: Erica Desper, sleep consultant, infant massage, and post-partum dula – (610) 331-8175, firstname.lastname@example.org
- It Takes a Village Baby Consultants: Basic Baby Care and Parent Preparation, Sleep Consulting, Parent Coaching and Workshops – Contact: Joanne Palermo, email@example.com
- Lactation consultants:
Local Libraries (story times and kids’ activities)
- Philadelphia Free Library
- South Philadelphia Library Branch (Broad & Morris)
- Whitman Branch (2nd & Snyder)
- Fumo Branch (Broad & Ritner)
- Santore Branch (7th & Carpenter)
Parenting Websites and Blogs
- AhaParenting.com: Dr. Laura Markham
- Ask Dr. Sears: A trusted resource for parents
- BabyCenter.com’s Let’s Play Weekly Activities for Your Baby’s First Year – List of two activities per week that you can do with your baby throughout the entire first year.
- Janet Lansbury: RIE, respectful parenting advice.
- OffBeatFamilies.com: Supporting parents as they integrate their pre-kid identities and lifestyles into their post-kid realities.
- OopseyDaisyBlog.com’s Mommy School: A previous teacher turned mom who has put together printable packets to teach your little ones each week.
- PhillyParentCircle.com – Philadelphia parenting resources
- The Stay at Home Mom Survival Guide: Fun and educational ideas for different ways to play with babies using items that you already have at home; there is also a Crash Course in Child Development which gives a generalized idea about baby’s milestones/intellectual markers.
- CHOP South Philadelphia: CHOP pediatric and adolescent care
- Ohm Family Chiropractic: Justin Ohm – pediatric chiropractor and nutrition
Playgroups, Meet-Ups and Support Groups
- Lilypad has playgroups almost every day of the week, 1234 S. Broad Street. For children of all ages.
- Circle of Hope Playgroup: For children birth through 4 years old; located at Circle of Hope
- Old First Reform Church, secular playgroup, Monday 10-12, Free parking, 4th & Race. For details, please call Mary 267-984-1222
- Mommy CON Facebook Page: Parenting advice, products and information
Philadelphia Parenting-Oriented Businesses
- Ali’s Wagon: store and parenting center
- My Fabulous Mama: Baby boutique and parenting center
- The Nesting House: Newborn and toddler clothing, supplies, cloth diapers